Sunday, April 5, 2009

Two Days Later . . .

The 60 mile loop was full of hills. I had to do a lot of running alongside the sled to help out the dogs.

My sled is on the left. We are packing up for the first run - 60 mile loop out of Wolverine Lodge.

I am back from the race and am ready to go another 300 miles! This race was a lot of fun, and I was able to learn a lot of new things and experience a variety of challenges. The temperature one night dipped down to 30-below, but, thankfully, I did not frostbite anything this time! I was wearing a Cabela's snow suit and Apocalypse down parka. For gloves, I wore a thin Red Ledge liner with beaver mitts. My hat was a beaver hat that one of the kids made for me when I taught in the village of Pitka's Point. I had a neck gator to stop the cold from slipping down the front of my jacket. I wore wool socks and used bunny boots for the 60-mile run and extreme-weather Sorel boots for the remainder of the race. Most of the time I was very comfortable. With all the lay-overs (6hrs., 8hrs., and 4hrs.), my race took about 59 hours. Out of those 59 hours, I slept a total of 5 restless hours. The hours that I slept were restless because I was trying not to oversleep and miss my leave-time. After I finished the race, I slept 5 hours and have continued on a normal routine since then. I think that there is so much adrenaline pumping that sleep deprivation doesn't really bother me. More than 3 days might be another story. I guess we will see . . .
I have so many stories to tell, and I am hoping to get a lot of them written up in the next week or so. Please check back on this blog often, and I will have more stories and photos.

2 comments:

vebrooks said...

Way to go, Angie! Glad to hear that you are safe and sound and successful. I knew those socks would bring you luck. What a finish!
Have a good trip back.
Valerie

Unknown said...

Angie the Awesome! What a great finish, we are all so happy for you! Get some sleep and we'll see you when you back to Ketchikan!